"It is important to work with people who we trust and who our parents trusted. American AgCredit has been there for us an we look forward to a successful relationship for many years to come."
- Michelle Mendes
Albert Mendes Dairy
The Young, Beginning and Small Farmer/Rancher Program (YBS Program) exists in order to offer more financing options for California farmers and ranchers who fit into certain categories.
The YBS Program provides alternate financing and guarantee options for farmers and ranchers who are just getting started, as well as small or part-time operations.
If you don't qualify under our normal lending requirements, there is a different set of qualifications that may be an option for you.
If you fit into one of the following guidelines, you may be eligible:
Talk to your loan officer. The Program includes governmental guarantee programs such as Farmer Mac and other State and Federal guarantees.
- YOUNG: Age 35 or younger
- BEGINNING: 10 years or fewer experience in farming/ranching
- SMALL: Under $250,000 annual gross income from farming operations
In order to address the unique credit needs of YBS farmers that have sound business plans and management ability, accommodations or credit enhancements may be considered such as:
If you are, or will be, a "Young", "Beginning", or "Small" farmer, call or visit one of our local branches for more information.
- FSA or SBA loan guarantee
- Coordinated lending with other lending agencies
- YBS lending program with modified loan standards
The Association sponsors, supports, and participates in the following education and training activities:
- Middle school, high school, and junior college career days
- Junior college classroom instruction
- College scholarships
- 4-H and FFA chapter events
- California Ag Leadership and Blue Diamond Leadership Programs
American AgCredit sponsors the following services that are helpful to YBS and potential YBS customers:
American AgCredit makes a concerted non-discriminatory and cooperative effort to finance young, beginning and small farmers by offering programs designed to meet the needs of applicants to the fullest extent of their credit worthiness.
- Young agricultural exhibitors at local fairs and other industry sponsored events
- Equipment leasing program
- Crop, mortgage, and life insurance
- Financial and business planning
- Retirement and estate planning
American AgCredit believes that Young, Beginning and Small Farmer loans can be made on a safe and sound basis and supports making theses types of loans as part of the overall loan portfolio, and does not discriminate in any credit transaction on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age public-assisted income, or because a right was exercised under the Consumer Credit Protection Act.