Premium Due Date – for 2019 Only
Emergency Flood/Disaster Relief – Severe flooding and excess moisture conditions in many parts of the U.S. have prompted RMA to allow premiums to be paid two months later with no penalty.
For any crop with an August 15 billing date, premium is due September 30. After September 30, interest would attach starting October 1. For 2019 only, interest will not attach until December 1, and can be paid up until November 30 with no penalty. Be aware that if premium is paid after November 30, interest due would be retroactive to the original September 30 due date.
Time is crucial in the event that you have a loss or think you have a potential loss. Here are some helpful reminders:
- CONTACT YOUR AGENT IMMEDIATELY. Indemnities can, and have been, denied due to delays in filing a claim. Your policy limits the time you have to
turn in a claim. Contact your agent immediately if you have a potential loss.
- Do not wait until you are finished harvesting. When in doubt, call your agent.
- Before you destroy any acres, put to another use, plant another crop or abandon the existing crop, PLEASE CALL YOUR AGENT.
- If you do not get a call back from the insurance company within 48 hours of reporting the claim, PLEASE CALL YOUR AGENT.
Pasture Rangeland and Forage (PRF)
- Pasture, Rangeland, Forage is a federal crop insurance policy which provides area plan rainfall coverage for grass that is used for grazing, forage or haying – including alfalfa.
- Pasture, Rangeland, Forage is designed to insure against a decline in precipitation on a Rainfall Index, which is approximately a 12-mile by 17-mile grid
- The index is based on more than 60 years of rainfall data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center.
- Losses are paid automatically when the observed Rainfall Index for the specified grid falls below the trigger index for that policy. No loss adjustment will be needed and no production reporting is required. ** Even if your yearly rainfall is higher than average, there could still be a loss generated depending on the intervals that you choose. **
- Sales Closing for PRF is November 15, 2019. Contact your agent for more information.
Livestock Risk Protection (LRP) – Feeder Cattle
LRP gives producers the ability to insure against a price decrease.
- Livestock Risk Protection insures against a price decrease in feeder or fed cattle.
- The coverage price is determined by the futures contract closest to the delivery date for feeder cattle and the harvest date for fed cattle
- Protect one to 3,000 head per specific endorsement (limited to 6,000 head per year).
- Producers can insure from 50 percent to 100 percent of the expected price (these percentages vary by day).
- A loss occurs when the coverage price is less than the end-value price at the coverage end date.
Advantages for Producers
- This is a Federal Crop Insurance Program and is subsidized from 20 percent to 35 percent depending on the coverage level you choose.
- Product can account for mixed animals. For example, steers and/or heifers of varied end weights could be protected under LRP.
- Flexible range of price elections – choose the coverage that best fits your risk management plan.
Veteran Farmer Rancher (VFR) and Beginning Farmer Rancher (BFR)
Veteran Farmer Ranchers and Beginning Farmer Ranchers are eligible for certain benefits and exemptions designed to help you start your operation. To learn more about those benefits, contact your local agent today.
Catastrophic Risk Protection (CAT) Policy Fees
There has been an increase in fees for the CAT policy from $300 / County / Crop to $655 / County / Crop. Contact your local agent for a buy-up coverage quote.
Multi-County Peril Units (MCEU)
Do you farm in multiple counties? Do you utilize enterprise units? Recent changes to Multi-Peril Crop Insurance (MPCI) policy provisions mean you may be able to save money by utilizing “enterprise units” across county lines. If you farm land located in more than one county, contact your agent to see if this new option can benefit your operation.